2021 JULY/AUGUST Newsletter

• 19 Jul 2021 2:36 PM
    Message # 10761837
    CWF Newsletter (Administrator)

Charting a New Course!

Wow, what an experience the last 16 months has been! We have all been touched in some way by the COVID-19 pandemic and the forced lockdown. Even as we begin to resume our lives and normal activities, things are not quite “normal”. As I reflected on the past months and spoke with each board member about our hopes and ideas for Coastal Women’s Forum, the words “new course” kept coming to mind. My husband and I have sailed and travelled on our various sailboats for many years. In our division of duties, I am the navigator. It suits my logical and numbers-oriented brain. I love to plot our course on the chart, figure out the proper heading and determine the best way to navigate to our destination. At least that’s how we did it in the early ‘80’s when we were cruising and living on our sailboat! Now, with today’s technology it’s a bit easier to punch the destination into the chart plotter and instantly see the proper course.

Coastal Women’s Forum exists to network, educate and encourage each other in all aspects of our lives – whether it’s in our businesses, our volunteer activities or our personal lives. My hope is that we will continue to support each other as we all figure out this new course into which we are emerging. Your new board will be brainstorming ideas to bring exciting and meaningful programs that will enrich your lives.

We have challenges ahead of us as well. Due to the pandemic, our membership is down considerably. Won’t you join me in renewing your membership right away? You should have received your renewal email already, if not, reach out to one of our membership coordinators. Invite friends and colleagues to our meetings whom you feel may be interested in our group. Mark your calendars for our first meeting on August 10 – one week later than usual, due to scheduling with The Chelsea. Start thinking now about those folks that you could invite – it would be wonderful to see a full room at our kick-off.

I’m excited to be your president this year and really quite humbled by the task. But with your help and encouragement, we’ll tackle this year, and I’m confident that Coastal Women’s Forum will be as strong as ever. Have a wonderful summer and I’ll see you on August 10!

Fondly,

Upcoming Events

August 10 The Chelsea – networking 5:30 pm, dinner and program 6:00 – 7:00 pm

August 18 New Bern Golf and Country Club – networking 11:30 am, luncheon program 12:00 – 1:00 pm

Our president, NELDA COATS, will be both the Dinner and Luncheon Speaker for the month of August.

Dessert Sponsor

Our August Dessert Sponsor is Mary Jane Charles. 

Thank you, Mary Jane!

Mary Jane Charles is the author of Surviving the Business of Dying, A Guide to Why Final Papers Matter and its Companion Workbook. This book was designated a finalist in its genre in the 2019 International Book Fest Awards.  Mary Jane is available for speaking events, not only on the importance of final papers, but also where to begin and what to include. Speak with her today to find a date for your group on this important topic.

Board Notes

Leadership

A huge thank you to last year’s Board of Directors led by now Past President Rose MacNeal! Leadership rises in times of crisis and you all proved that point by navigating CWF through one of the toughest times ever! Thank you all.

And a big WELCOME to our 2021-2022 Board of Directors.

They are as follows:

President Nelda Coats           Vice President Kelly Michaud

Advisor: Carter Ann Rollins

Meeting Coordinators: Debby Lutz / Daytime    Beth Cooper /Evening

Membership: Linda Jarvis & Anna DiNisio

Newsletter:  Mary Jane Charles

Program Coordinators: Diane Jones /Daytime       Martha Massaad /Evening

Secretary & Social Media: Trista Laborn

Special Events: Chrissie White

Treasurer: Lisa Esposito

Meeting Sponsorships

If you are interested in being a sponsor for an upcoming meeting, please email Kelly Michaud at kelly@solidrockaccounting.com. Sponsorships are $30 and available on a first come, first serve basis, so don't delay!

Membership

Welcome New Members:

Tracey Brenneman with NC Guardian ad Litem Program    

Renee Hunt with Nutrien

Katherine Kehoe with Cella Ford

Elizabeth Pope with Atlantic Dance Theatre

Jane Stallings with Carolina East Heart Center

Membership

JULY is our membership drive month! So far, we have only 50% renewed...which means we have 50% of us who still need to renew. Our numbers are down in general, so your participation is crucial to our "setting a new course" in this new fiscal year. Each renewal puts wind in the sails of the Coastal Women's Forum. Every little bit helps, but every one of us is important to making this the best year ever! 

Make JULY a great month. Renew your membership today, if you haven't already.

Member News

NEW THIS SUMMER: DANCE CLASSES FOR OTHER NONPROFIT ORGANIZATIONS WITH YOUTH PROGRAMS   

Currently, Atlantic Dance Theatre is partnering with Jones County’s Filling Station to offer a dance/arts camp taught by Jane Atkinson Peele and Kit JordanJuly 19-23. Also, ADT presented a May 12th Zoom workshop with Solo Sana for the New Bern Boys and Girls Club Teen Unit full of kids who are really into dance!

Our public concert, Bach and Forward, is tentatively rescheduled for Sunday, February 27, 2022 at 2:00 pm at Stanly Hall.

We are so grateful and amazed in this Pandemic year to have been able to offer, via Zoom, ten dance workshops in Craven County and Jones County elementary schools with Solo Sana. These programs were made possible through grants from the Bate Foundation, a Grassroots Grant from Craven Arts Council and individual donations. Thank you. www.atlanticdancetheatre.org

Hope everyone is enjoying Summer 2021.

Don’t forget to take care of YOU this Summer!

Balance is key to a healthy mind and body

Elise A. Medenbach, LMBT Massage Therapy

Glenburnie Professional Center

1425 South Glenburnie Road, Suite 6

New Bern, NC  28560

www.amtamembers.com/elisemedenbach

252 474-6118

A NOTE FROM DEEDRA

An African Jewelry Making Workshop, hosted by Arts To End Genocide (ATEG), will be offered on Saturday, August 21, 2021 at the J. Murphy Smith Center, 508 Middle Street, with 2 Sessions (limit 125 each) – 12:30 to 2:00 and 2:30 to 4:00. Reservations required, at www.artstoendgenocide.org or Call 252-481-4772.

Participants will receive a FREE packet of beads and materials to make a bracelet and earrings, with additional packets and/or individual beads available for purchase. This event will help fund relocation of 500 children from a garbage dump in Bamako, Mali, West Africa to a safer and healthier location. Participation not recommended for children under 12 years of age.

Last modified: 20 Jul 2021 5:43 PM | CWF Newsletter (Administrator)

UPCOMING EVENTS

Announcements

• There are no posts to display.

CWF Newsletters

Coastal Women's Forum
PO Box 15392
New Bern, NC 28561
www.coastalwomensforum.com
www.facebook.com/coastalwomensforum

Copyright @ Coastal Women's Forum

Website designed and developed by LinearTech, LLC,