"We make a living by what we get;

we make a life by what we give."

Sir Winston Churchill

September 2021 Newsletter

• 21 Aug 2021 4:02 PM
    Message # 10946721

Why are you a member of Coastal Women’s Forum? Our tag line is "Networking, Education and Encouragement". I really like this as it speaks to the ways we receive benefits from our organization as well as the various ways we can give to the organization. Many join for the networking opportunities and to grow their businesses. Some have just arrived in town and are looking for ways to meet new people. Others like the energy and that they have found ways to get involved in the community.

When I joined, I had recently taken a position with a regional mortgage company. I was responsible for my own leads and I wanted to get more plugged into the New Bern community. While I have received new business directly from my association with CWF, the benefits I have received are far more intangible but no less meaningful for me. I’ve met women whose services have greatly benefited me.

It was through my association with CWF that I met Jane Malucci. It was Jane who asked me to step in  to a production through The New Bern Historical Society. I played Katie Brownell for a "Lunch 'n Learn". This was such a rewarding experience for me and it gave me the courage to try out for Ghost Walk. I performed here for two years! I’ve met women who have had extraordinary careers and women who are starting their own businesses for the first time. We are a vibrant, interesting group of women who have much to offer.

Every year CWF awards a $2000 Scholarship to a woman attending Craven Community College. We also give the recipient a complimentary membership in CWF and encourage her to attend meetings and network with our members. What a wonderful way to give back to our New Bern Community!

This is a rebuilding year for Coastal Women’s Forum. More than half of our members did not renew their membership during the pandemic. Many were not comfortable using Zoom and many were, quite frankly, just trying to survive the year!

Your Board has set as one of its goals for the year to increase our membership. We will have a booth at MumFest this year to increase our exposure and let more women know about this great organization. There is more about opportunities for you to participate in MumFest through CWF in this newsletter, including signing up to work the booth and donating items for gift baskets to be given away.

But the most effective way to get members is to be invited to one of our meetings. Was that how you found CWF? Did someone invite you to a meeting to check out this incredible organization? Won’t you join me in inviting someone to the next meeting? If you know someone who did not renew this year, give them a call and invite them back. Remind them of all we have to offer. Let’s not keep this great group of women to ourselves.

Kindest Regards,

Last modified: 21 Aug 2021 4:07 PM | Mary Jane Charles

President's Message

Nelda Coats

Charting a New Course!

UPCOMING EVENTS

• No upcoming events

Announcements

CWF Newsletters

Why are you a member of Coastal Women’s Forum? Our tag line is "Networking, Education and Encouragement". I really like this as it speaks to the ways we receive benefits from our organization as well as the various ways we can give to the organization. Many join for the networking opportunities and to grow their businesses. Some have just arrived in town and are looking for ways to meet new people. Others like the energy and that they have found ways to get involved in the community.

When I joined, I had recently taken a position with a regional mortgage company. I was responsible for my own leads and I wanted to get more plugged into the New Bern community. While I have received new business directly from my association with CWF, the benefits I have received are far more intangible but no less meaningful for me. I’ve met women whose services have greatly benefited me.

It was through my association with CWF that I met Jane Malucci. It was Jane who asked me to step in  to a production through The New Bern Historical Society. I played Katie Brownell for a "Lunch 'n Learn". This was such a rewarding experience for me and it gave me the courage to try out for Ghost Walk. I performed here for two years! I’ve met women who have had extraordinary careers and women who are starting their own businesses for the first time. We are a vibrant, interesting group of women who have much to offer.

Every year CWF awards a $2000 Scholarship to a woman attending Craven Community College. We also give the recipient a complimentary membership in CWF and encourage her to attend meetings and network with our members. What a wonderful way to give back to our New Bern Community!

This is a rebuilding year for Coastal Women’s Forum. More than half of our members did not renew their membership during the pandemic. Many were not comfortable using Zoom and many were, quite frankly, just trying to survive the year!

Your Board has set as one of its goals for the year to increase our membership. We will have a booth at MumFest this year to increase our exposure and let more women know about this great organization. There is more about opportunities for you to participate in MumFest through CWF in this newsletter, including signing up to work the booth and donating items for gift baskets to be given away.

But the most effective way to get members is to be invited to one of our meetings. Was that how you found CWF? Did someone invite you to a meeting to check out this incredible organization? Won’t you join me in inviting someone to the next meeting? If you know someone who did not renew this year, give them a call and invite them back. Remind them of all we have to offer. Let’s not keep this great group of women to ourselves.

Kindest Regards,

CWF Meets MUMFEST 2021!

The Coastal Women's Forum is going to have a booth at this year's MUMFEST! The dates are Saturday, October 9 and Sunday, October 10. We need volunteers for "manning" the booth on both days.

Debby Lutz  will have sign up sheets at both the daytime and evening meetings in September.

The shifts are two hours each. Time will fly and you will meet wonderful people and be able to introduce yourself and The Coastal Women's Forum! Contact Debby Lutz at 252-500-4183 or tbtravel@gmail.com  today to sign up for your shift! They will go fast.

Daytime Meeting Speaker

September 15th Daytime Speaker

Charlotte Martin

Thank you, Charlotte!tember 15th Daytime Speaker

Charlotte Martin

Thank you, Charlotte!

"Persist, Pivot or Concede"

Matthew McConaughey "Greenlights"

“Charting a New Course” requires that we stay attuned to changes in the environment, culture and society that call us to assess our journey and sometimes shift direction. 

Coastal Women’s Forum’s September Daytime speaker, Charlotte Martin, will share her experience in leading such a shift.  Charlotte is the Employee Benefits Account Manager at Flatlands Jessup Insurance Group and serves as the 2021-2022 Chair of the Board of Young Professionals of Craven County.

The impact of the COVID 19 pandemic, following the devastation of Hurricane Florence, left the New Bern Chamber of Commerce Young Professional Group with 10 paid active members.  With the support of Charlotte’s leadership, the group has transformed into the Board of Young Professionals of Craven County and now consists of 65 members and continues to adapt and grow.   

Charlotte will share her experience and provide unique insight into how we can all engage early- and mid-career women as customers, employees and colleagues.

In addition to her professional accomplishments, Charlotte and her family are actively involved in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. She also serves as the Sponsorship Chair of this year’s March for the 22 fundraising events to raise awareness of the struggle against veteran suicide, PTSD and depression. 

Please join Coastal Women’s Forum at 11:30 AM on Wednesday, September 15 at the New Bern Golf and Country Club for a lively discussion on emerging customer and employee expectations and engaging early-and mid-career women in professional development.     

Daytime Meeting Dessert Sponsor

Wednesday, September 15th

Joanna Carr, Edward Jones Financial Advisor

Thank you, Joanna!

Evening Meeting Speaker

September Evening Meeting Speaker

TRACY SANDERSON

Thank you, TRACY!

Tracy has been a marketing professional in the vacation rental and real estate/development industry for over five years. In addition to running her own marketing agency, she teaches marketing for small businesses at Carteret Community College through the Small Business Center.

Specializing in digital marketing and branding, Tracy strives to provide her clients and students with the A+ digital marketing services, consultation, education, and coaching.

She is also passionate about travel and family, and is currently launching a travel & adventure channel.

ank you, TRACY!

Evening Meeting Dessert Sponsor

Tuesday, September 7, Evening Meeting Dessert Sponsor

Carter Ann Rollins, New Bern Civic Theatre

Thank you, Carter Ann!

MEMBERSHIP

Welcome New Members:

Debra Simpkins - Harbour Aesthetics

Christina Boland - BlueSky Wealth Advisors

Julie Rea - Press Ganey Associates LLC

Bethany Hobbs - Twisted Nail Creations

Lou Gilmore - Mama Bear Doula Care and Photograph

Yvonne Pettus, United Realty Coastal Rivers

Revised Meal Cancellation Policy 

If you made a reservation and cannot attend, please CANCEL your reservation (cwfdinner@gmail.com) no later than noon on the Sunday before the evening meeting and (cwflunch@gmail.com) no later than noon on the Monday before the lunch meeting or you will be responsible to cover the cost of your meal.

Membership Dues

It's almost September! We need you and we need your dues, 

If you have not renewed your membership, we encourage you to go online today and renew!

Thank you!

Stay connected! For many of us, the CWF membership is the first place we look when we need a product or service. To ensure you don't miss an opportunity - UPDATE YOUR CWF PROFILE!

Stay connected! For many of us, the CWF membership is the first place we look when we need a product or service. To ensure you don't miss an opportunity - UPDATE YOUR CWF PROFILE!

Do you have a new profile picture, updated business logo, new email, or mailing address? If we don't know it, we can't find you! 

Do you have a new profile picture, updated business logo, new email, or mailing address? If we don't know it, we can't find you! 

Member News

BE A VOICE FOR CHILDREN!  

The NC Guardian ad Litem Program recruits, trains and supports volunteers to advocate for the best interests of children who have been abused and neglected. 

Due to the stresses of COVID, cases of child abuse and neglect are on the rise, and these children need someone who is willing to get to know them, learn more about their situation, and speak on their behalf in court. 

To learn more, go to www.volunteerforgal.org or contact Tracey Brenneman at 252-515-2017

PLANNING AN OFF-SITE BUSINESS MEETING OR IMPOORTANT CLIENT EVENT?

Ideally situated on picturesque Brices Creek, the New Bern Yacht Club offers a unique event venue for Corporate, Social and Family Occasions, with your budget in mind:

• ·        Unique property with 250 feet of waterfront footage
  • ·        Panoramic views of scenic Brices Creek to the Trent River
  • ·        Charming clubhouse accommodates up to 85 people
  • ·        Fully appointed warming kitchen for ease of catering
  • ·        Secure Wi-Fi and audiovisual; large-screen TV for computer/internet presentations
  • ·        Outdoor entertaining on screen porch and spacious lawn, plus room for waterside tents
  • ·        Ample off-street parking
  • ·        Surprisingly affordable rates!

To tour the property, contact CWF member Lucy Lichty, 252/649-9780, lucylaurens2@gmail.com.  Visit us at www.NewBernYachtClub.com

New Bern Civic Theatre Continues to Bring Laughter and Entertainment to the Community!

Come see your favorite childhood game of “whodunit” as we present CLUE: On Stage September 17th -26th.  This classic is sure to have you in tears, on the edge of your seat, and guessing who the killer is!  Directed by Jay Tyson, produced by Meredith McKee-Boyd, and featuring the heavy hitters of the NBCT stage with a few new faces you’re sure to love!

NBCT’s finale this year will be classic musical, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum!  Grab your toga and join us for this fun filled musical performing November 5th-20th

For more information on upcoming shows and how you can secure your seats, visit newberncivictheatre.org or call the Box Office at 252-634-9057

See you at the show!                   

Lunch & Learn - New Bern on the Move

“Moving to a new place” has a whole ‘nother meaning in historic new Bern.

Everyone's favorite Curator, New Bern native Jim Hodges, returns to kick off the New Bern Historical Society’s Lunch & Learn series with a fascinating new program about the history of moving houses in downtown New Bern. This special two-hour lunch program will take place Sept. 15 at 11:30am at Carolina Colours Pavilion at 3300 Waterscape Way. Curator Jim will share how, in the spirit of preservation, structures large and small were carefully relocated to save them from demolition. With his folksy and humorous delivery, he will present a pictorial history of the challenging journey of sixteen buildings that have been spared the wrecking ball to enjoy a new life in a changing environment. For reservations and lunch options go to www.NewBernHistorical.org or call 252.638.8558.

NO CHILD WET BEHIND! 

In August & September, the Tryon Civitan Club is collecting disposable diapers for its 7th Annual No Child Wet Behind project to benefit Coastal Women’s Shelter, Religious Community Services & Craven County Health Department. Disposable diapers for infants, toddlers and adults, as well as wipes are needed. Partially-used boxes of diapers will be accepted.  Unlike baby formula and food, diapers are not covered by the Federal WIC Program so the need is great. Many Civitans are also CWF members and we are hoping that our CWF sisters will help by bringing diapers and/or wipes to our CWF lunch meetings in August and September OR by contacting Leigh Wilkinson at 252-672-5482 to arrange a pick-up of your donations. Thanks!

Note to School parents from Craven County Schools:

ATTENTION PARENTS~

ANNUAL STUDENT CONTACT INFORMATION UPDATE

This week you should have received another notification via email regarding the online Annual Student Update for the upcoming school year. This process replaces the paper forms sent home at the beginning of each school year. Help us by verifying the information on file and if needed please make any needed changes. This will ensure we are able to effectively communicate with you.

If you did not receive the email please contact your child’s school so we can add your email to the system.

Thank you for taking the time to complete this process.

Travel is back and bookings are up! During the last 18 months, travel restrictions have devastated the travel industry.  As restrictions are being lifted - with caution, now is the perfect time to plan your next vacation!

Travel is back and bookings are up! During the last 18 months, travel restrictions have devastated the travel industry.  As restrictions are being lifted - with caution, now is the perfect time to plan your next vacation!

Being a complete full service travel agency, Travel by DebbyL, will help and assist you plan your getaway by being on top of the most recent restrictions and requirements for traveling around the globe. Cruises are filling up and river cruising in both the US and Europe is in demand.

Vacations to all-inclusive resorts are also seeing high demands for fall and winter months. Don't hesitate to contact me, Debby Lutz at 252-500-4183 or tbtravel075@gmail.com  

The Filling Station’s executive director, Mary Ann Bender LeRay, reached out to Atlantic Dance Theatre’s Elizabeth Pope to consider hosting an art and dance camp at The Filling Station’s new Garden Venue. Six weeks later, during the week of July 19, twenty-five children ages eight to eleven from Jones County explored their imaginations and creativity through movement, colors, and textures. From dancing with hoops, bamboo, colorful ribbons, and a vibrant, red dragon to creating masterful mosaic steppingstones with tiles of varying shades of blues, greens, and browns the four-day Arts and Dance Day Camp was a successful conclusion to ADT’s  2021-2022 season!

The Atlantic Dance theatre, a nonprofit organization located in New Bern, NC, has been spreading the joy of dance throughout Craven County and its surrounding counties since 1985, providing public concerts and dance opportunities for underserved youth. For more information visit atlanticdancetheatre.org.

The Filling Station’s executive director, Mary Ann Bender LeRay, reached out to Atlantic Dance Theatre’s Elizabeth Pope to consider hosting an art and dance camp at The Filling Station’s new Garden Venue. Six weeks later, during the week of July 19, twenty-five children ages eight to eleven from Jones County explored their imaginations and creativity through movement, colors, and textures. From dancing with hoops, bamboo, colorful ribbons, and a vibrant, red dragon to creating masterful mosaic steppingstones with tiles of varying shades of blues, greens, and browns the four-day Arts and Dance Day Camp was a successful conclusion to ADT’s  2021-2022 season!

The Atlantic Dance theatre, a nonprofit organization located in New Bern, NC, has been spreading the joy of dance throughout Craven County and its surrounding counties since 1985, providing public concerts and dance opportunities for underserved youth. For more information visit atlanticdancetheatre.org.

During our June luncheon, a member asked me what the difference was between a Notary and a Notary Signing Agent, so I thought I would take a moment and give you a brief overview. In addition to performing standard notarial acts, such as Wills, Powers of Attorney, DMV titles, Concealed Carry Permits, etc., a Notary Signing Agent has been certified by loan signing agencies across the country to assist Mortgage Companies, Title Companies, Attorneys and Real Estate Firms in their transactions. Home Purchase, Refinance, Home Equity Loans, Reverse Mortgages and Deeds all play the essential part of closings. It is not always feasible for a client to go directly to a single location and, with many documents done online, the notary plays a key role in providing the service to someone in the comfort of their home or a location of their choice. Courier and overnight service is provided. This certification is a specialized part of the job. I carry E&O Insurance, have had a complete background check and am re-certified each calendar year. Protecting your identification and your important documents is my first priority. Maggie Bramwell 

Coastal Women's Forum
PO Box 15392
New Bern, NC 28561
www.coastalwomensforum.com
www.facebook.com/coastalwomensforum

Copyright @ Coastal Women's Forum

Website designed and developed by LinearTech, LLC,